research_title

Field Stations

Clausen_Keck_Hiesey

Jens Clausen, William Hiesey, and David Keck, approximately 1950

The Department maintains 2 field stations that have played a key role in ecological research since the 1920s. Along with transplant gardens on the Stanford campus, the field stations at Mather (4000') and Timberline (10,000') were the foundation for the experimental taxonomy program of Clausen, Keck, and Hiesey.






Mather Garden

Mather Garden, approximately 1954

Stanford Garden

Stanford Garden, approximately 1954

Mimulus lewisii

Mimulus lewisii near Timberline

Timberline garden

Timberline garden, approximately 1954